Your tree is up, a wreath bedecks the door, and all your stockings are hung. What now? Karen Sacksteder, our fearless founder here at Sacksteder’s Interiors, says a mesmerizing mantle and trimmed tablescape is just what you need to add more holiday cheer to your space, big or small. “These are the areas in our homes we gather most,” she says. “Adding festive decor to these two hotspots in every home will make a big difference.”
Here are some of Karen’s top tips:
1. Pick a color scheme. Keep the variety of colors small, because it can otherwise look too overwhelming or busy. “I love the look of greenery, wood tones and gold, and then a pop of red or cranberry for a chic contrast,” she says. Picking a small color palette also makes it easier when you’re shopping. “If you can’t find exactly the color scheme you’re looking for, opt to have a custom arrangement made here at Sacksteders,” Karen says. “Our gals here can make exactly what you’re envisioning without the time spent hunting through all the stores.”
2. Vary the heights. “The eye gets bored if everything is the same height,” says Karen. “It looks too bland and uninteresting to the eye.” Look for a tall, small and in between heights, and vary up the placement.
3. Vary the textures. For the same reasons you want to vary heights, you also want to mix up the textures. especially if colors are all similar. “I love using greenery, pinecones, furry animals or gnomes, whittled wood figures, smooth candle holders, and glittery ornaments or berries,” Karen says. “I feel like it gives it a nice full texture without looking busy.”
4. Add a pop of personality. “This is supposed to be a fun and magical time of year,” Karen says. “Throw in some unexpected and whimsical touches.” One of our most popular Tree Decorating Kits is the “Gnome” theme. “It’s whimsical, without breaking your holiday color scheme,” says Karen. If you’d like something more subtle, wooden and neutral snowmen, Santa, reindeer, gnomes, dangle leg mice, and moose shelf sitters offer a fun little surprise sitting the table or hiding on the mantel. Wanna take it up a notch? Sprinkle in some animated elf legs in your tree, put a faux bear rug by the fireplace, or set a moose footrest in your seating area.
5. Perfect the place settings. “I like to extend the theme of my tablescape and mantel onto the plates at my table, whether it’s with napkins or napkin rings, placemat, place card or something else fun,” Karen says. “It ties it all together adds the perfect polish to your festive decor.”
Celebrating 33 years, Sacksteder’s Interiors is a locally-based, family-owned business. We sell furniture and home furnishings, as well as year-round interior design services, and we’re know for their holiday merchandise and holiday decorating services. We have two stores in Greater Cincinnati, one located at 9797 Montgomery Road in Cincinnati and the other at 4101 U.S. 52 in New Trenton, Ind. Call (513)791- 5022 or (812) 637-1422 to learn more or visit www.sackstedersinteriors.com.