text by Good Housekeeping, photographs found by London Hampshire
Small square footage doesn’t have to hinder your decorating style. Just follow these quick tricks to create spaces that are bigger and better.
1. A large area rug creates the illusion that a little room is grander than it is. Stretch your budget and make your own oversized rug by taping together several smaller ones.
2. Use sheer, wispy fabrics for window treatments to let in more light. The brightness opens the room while opaque fabrics make areas look dark and small.
3. In a cozy bedroom, join the wall and the bed, figuratively, of course, by painting a wide, vertical stripe on the wall behind a headboard that merges into the same pattern on the bedding.
4. Don’t go overboard on throw pillows, which are likely to pile up and make the room feel overcrowded. If your decorative cushions are getting priority seating instead of your guests, it’s time to re-assess. Remember that size matters: If a pillow doesn’t fit easily behind your back, it’s too big.
5. A room with sloped walls may look stifling at first, but there’s an easy solution. Paint the ceiling and sloped wall the same color, such as a light, creamy hue, and cover the other walls in a darker, warmer shade, like grey.
6. Don’t overlook the attic, typically a spare room with a low ceiling, which offers lots of design potential. Make the space seem bigger and more inviting by bringing in a low bed or sofa.
7. This age-old trick works every time: Strategically placed mirrors can double the dimensions of the room (at least to the naked eye). Place mirrors on both sides of a piece of furniture, such as a bed, or display a long, wide mirror across a countertop.
8. Sometimes, you simply have to clear out room to create more space. Too much furniture will make even the largest room seem cramped. Keep the decor simple when arranging a living room. Make sure there are enough places to sit; leave room to walk between the sofa and coffee table; add shelves to store books and trinkets.
If you have smaller spaces in your home or office that need a little tender love and care, come to Sacksteder’s Interiors and let us help! You can call us in New Trenton at (812) 637-1422 or for our Obryonville location, call us at (513) 791-5022.