Written by Angel Rasper of Sacksteder's Interiors
Sometimes when it comes to making the right choices for a decorative look that we can enjoy, the fear factor behind making the wrong decision can become a hindrance to the flow of the creative process.
So often I will have customers come in that have great vision and ideas for what they want, but they struggle with putting it all together because they find it hard to decide on what looks best. As a word of encouragement; even those of us in the design profession can use some sound direction from time to time. And a second opinion is the best way to gain reassurance about a major decision.
Making creative choices for your home or office can take a lot of time, energy and resources and with the right kind of help you can actually save on all three. Don't let the fear of decision making hold you back from bringing an amazing idea to life! There is help!
Here are some simple steps to help you get started...
- Pick a style that suits you. You are the one who has to live with it. Surround yourself with what makes you feel good. The idea behind personal style is just that... making it personal!
- Pick a color scheme and stick with it. Trying to blend to many combinations starts to get loud and busy. The best way to make color selections is to start in one room; pick your color palette for that space, and then carry it along into other spaces. You can change up the look of the combination by using different patterns from room to room. And for fun... introduce a different color here and there, but keep it cohesive to the overall combination.
- Consider the size of the space. When it comes to good design- scale is crucial. For proper esthetic flow you have to have balance and proper proportion with your pieces. Placement of furniture can be a challenge and if you love what you see on TV or in the magazines, but making a decision is difficult... call in the professionals or someone with an artistic eye for composition.
- Don't be afraid to take it home and try it. Sometimes the way a piece may look in the store is not necessarily the way it is going to appear in your home. The best way to decide if something is right is to place it in the space so that you have a better visual for how it is going to look. Designers understand the need to feel comfortable with decorative decisions and they can help advise you with choices by explaining what is right or wrong with the placement.
- Don't waste too much time, energy and resources. If you are finding yourself running back and forth or purchasing things that you are not happy with later... it is time to call in the professionals! Having someone help you make decisions does not take away from creating your own personal style- it can only help.
Interior design is a skill that is developed with education and experience. And even the best designers had a teacher at some point in their life!
The most important thing to remember when it comes to any design project is to try and have fun with it! The Sacksteder's team understands all to well the difficulty that can try to set in when launching a decorative project. If you are in need of help... give Sacksteder's a call and one of our design professionals will be more than happy to help you.